Pulaski Coutny Is ...

Rich History


The Raymond F. Ratcliffe Memorial Transportation Museum

51 Commerce Street, Pulaski, VA 24301

(540) 980-2307


The Ratcliffe features one of the most extraordinary O Gauge model train displays in the county. Dr. Milton Brockmeyer, a Pulaski dentist, working with colleagues from the model railroad club, created an 80x26’ layout in the Brockmeyer basement. In 2013, the town of Pulaski expanded the museum and its exhibits including the O Gauge display, historic fire engines, storyboards featuring the town’s history, and artifacts that tell the stories of Pulaski.

Raymond F. Ratcliffe Memorial Transportation Museum
Raymond F. Ratcliffe Memorial Transportation Museum

Wilderness Road Regional Museum

5240 Wilderness Rd, Dublin, VA 24084

(540) 674-4835


The Wilderness Road Regional Museum has undergone recent renovations to offer new displays and historical attractions for its visitors. The museum is housed in two buildings constructed in the 1800s, located on the Wilderness Road in historic Newbern, less than a mile from I-81. The museum tells the story from being established along the Wilderness Road, the primary migration route west.

The museum is home to numerous exhibits, artifacts and documents highlighting 19th century life along the Wilderness Road. The museum is housed in an original structure built in 1806 that served as a store and tavern along the Wilderness Road. Permanent exhibit "Into the Wilderness" tells the story of westward expansion. The museum has extensive genealogical and historical records available for search.

Wilderness Road Museum
Wilderness Road Regional Museum

Historic Pulaski County Courthouse & Museum

52 West Main Street, Pulaski, VA 24301

(540) 980-7750

Walk through the stone arch and tour the Pulaski County Couthouse, originally constructed in 1896 and reconstructed since a fire in December of 1989. The building contains elements of the Richardsonian Romanesque and Queen Anne styles of architecture.

Historical Sights

Historic Calfee Park

Calfee Park is the ninth oldest professional Minor League Baseball park in use in America. It offers an impressive, fan-friendly atmosphere for watching the Pulaski Yankees, a team who has been crowned the Appalachian League champions six times since 1946.

In 2015, Calfee Park underwent new ownership. Since the transition, more than $9 million has been invested into renovations and facilities, while retaining the historic appeal of the park. These upgrades include:

  • New covered picnic area
  • Lodging facilities for the players
  • New clubhouse
  • Home team dugout
  • Upgraded open-air box suites
  • The only jumbotron in the Appalachain League

Continued upgrades set for 2018 include additional handicap seating and a new outfield scoreboard. Plans are also in motion for a major renovation ahead of the 2019 season.

Some of the best talent now in the Major Leagues have played in historic Calfee Park on their way up the ranks. Hundreds of players and coaches on current and past Major League rosters, such as Mike Schmidt, David Justice, and Travis Snider, have played for the home and visiting teams in Calfee Park.

Calfee Park Historic EntrancePulaski Yankees Players
Historic Calfee Park

Pulaski Train Depot

20 S Washington Ave, Pulaski, VA 24301

(540) 980-8600

The Train Depot was built in 1888, just two years after the commonwealth chartered the town of Pulaski. It is crafted from Peak Creek granite and affectionately called the Grand Old Lady of Pulaski. It now serves as a community meeting place for events throughout the year.

Pulaski Train Depot
Pulaski Train Depot

Southwest Virginia Veterans Cemetery

5550 Bagging Plant Rd, Dublin, VA 24084

(540) 674-6893

The cemetery honoring our veterans is open to the public every day during daylight hours.You can catch the American red, white, and blue flags waving on each gravesite and the Avenue of Flags along the circle drive on patriotic holidays.

Southwest Virginia Veteran's Cemetery
Southwest Virginia Veteran's Cemetery

Battle of Cloyd's Mountain Civil War Battlefield

Private Property

The Battle of Cloyd’s Mountain was a Union victory on May 9, 1864 that allowed the Union forces to destroy that last line connecting Tennessee to Virginia, the Virginia and Tennessee Railroad, located in Dublin.